WHY IS WEIBO IMPORTANT FOR YOUR MARKETING STRATEGY?
Sina Weibo or more commonly known as ‘Weibo’, is what some people may call the Chinese version of Twitter. Weibo, along with WeChat, is one of China’s most famous and significant social networking platforms and is essential when entering the Chinese market.
WHY DO PEOPLE USE WEIBO?
Weibo is a great place for…
- Finding out news and hot topics instantly – 72.4% of users
- Following content specific information – 65.5% of users
- Obtaining useful information for life/work – 59.7% of users
WHO DO THEY FOLLOW ON WEIBO?
The Chinese audience are most likely to follow a number of different Weibo accounts, such as classmates, friends in real life, colleagues and family members – which equates to 60% of all users. Celebrities are also very popular on Weibo, with as much as 55% of users following at least one of them.
WHAT ARE ‘KOLS’?
KOLS or simply Key Opinion Leaders are popular online accounts that are vital in creating an influence to assist your Weibo message reach out to a greater audience. With roughly 47.5% of users following KOLS, this will help to bridge the gap between the consumer and the product by providing reliable information through a reliable individual.
DO USERS FOLLOWING COMPANY ACCOUNTS?
On Weibo, 10.5% of users will follow company accounts which can be broken down into 4 major reasons:
- To find the company news (79.9%)
- To discover new promotions (68.5%)
- To purchase products directly (46.0%)
- To seek after sale services (43.1%)
HOW OFTEN DO THEY USE WEIBO?
- 5% of users use Weibo every day
- 3% use the app 4-6 times per week
- 2% use the app 2-3 times per week
- Over 60mins each time – 23.4%
- Over 30mins each time – 45.1%
- Over 10mins each time – 76.3%
- Over 5mins each time – 90.0%
WEIBO ACCOUNT TYPES
When creating an account with Weibo, there are two types: individual and corporate.
Individual accounts can be created by any individual and do not require any specific documentation to open.
Corporate accounts are designed for organisations, businesses and governmental accounts. Every corporate account created has to be verified through the main operating company Sina and documentation relating to your company will have to be provided. Verification will enable your business appear distinguished and licensed.
At OKOMP, we help brands to connect with Chinese consumers on Sina Weibo
We help you to effectively communicate on the Weibo platform, generate great content and develop impactful campaigns, you could also utilise paid Weibo advertising, KOLs to leverage and amplify your campaign result.
Contact us for more information.